Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving Day, the spirit of celebrating this day with families, lots of food , foot ball and sharing their stories reminds me of the memories of my most cherished festival "Sankranthi" or "Pongal". As I think about it, there are many commons with both of these celebrations.

Sankranthi is celebrated as farming season comes to an end (January 14) and its time for farmers to celebrate their harvest. Its the same with thanksgiving which was originally celebrated after the first harvest by the pilgrims after gruelling winter season. Both may not be celebrated these days for the same reason, but having family together keeps the spirit alive.

As an outsider , I cannot talk about how thansgiving being celebreated other than the fact that it brings together whole family, over good food and football. Sankranthi reminds my best memories of celebrating it together with family with very good food. Trying to burn calories after a very, very heavy lunch by playing cards, carroms, or other board games and making fun of each other (it doesnt matter whether its my dad or my nephew). Before my belly makes space for some air from heavy food, replenishing this with snacks, and other delicacies all day long is the best part of it.

For all the memories, I would like to say a BIG Thank You to my parents on this day for all the things they had provided. As I start my journey as a married man, will hope to continue to keep this spirit alive with my dear wife.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice write up. Sure thing we can celebrate both...
will cook turkey when I am back. But don't U try and burn my kitchen till then.
Also remember about new clothes and jewllery for Sankranti :)

Sakshi said...

Hehe- Good one Sameera.
I like the idea of any festivities that brings the family together over good food and conversation.
Here's hoping you and Sameera celebrate memorable thanksgiving.
And invite me for the Turkey too :)

Suresh said...

I never thought writing a blog is going to cost me money :).

Sakshi, You are welcome but do remember the fact that sameera is going to cook turkey for the first time. So Beware:))

Anonymous said...

Chalo Update ur blog. Post something...

Anonymous said...

Oye....what doing? Get off the couch and write something